Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Shifting

So, a lot has happened lately. Personal details that are still too painful to go in to right now. The side-effect has been some self-evaluation. I've been stressing a lot over my writing lately, enjoying it less. I think that's because of my current job.

To be honest, it's a dead-end, meaningless job that provides no satisfaction. So I've started to view my writing as a means to escape this place. And that's not what it should be. Writing should be for fun. Because I enjoy it.

So I'm making a "career" change. I use quotes because my current employment isn't really much of a career. But any rate, I've rediscovered an old passion for teaching that I let a lot of fears turn me away from. So I'm focusing on that, for the moment.

I'm working on obtaining a certification to teach Jr. High math. Sounds fun, right? It does to me. I feel like I can do a lot of good there, like I can really help some kids who need it. And if I am laying on my deathbed, having never published a single page, I'll still have felt like I lived a fulfilling life as a teacher.


That's not to say I'm not going to pick at my trilogy or still work on the ACW wargame while I'm working towards the teaching certification. It's just not going to be my golden ticket out of here anymore. Writing will be fun again.

I'm looking forward to that.

But first, I need to re-learn Algebra, Geometry, and Trigonometry, and learn Calculus. Believe it or not, to me, that sounds pretty fun too.

And P.S. To the one who unknowingly helped me rediscover this excitement for teaching that I felt so long ago - thank you. I only wish you would have stuck around long enough to enjoy this with me.