There's a quote by an American writer by the name of Louis L'Amour. Goes like this: "Do not wait for an idea. Start writing something and the ideas will come. You have to turn the faucet on before the water starts to flow."
I've been guilty lately of waiting for inspiration to strike. Because of the way I want to tie the three Halnoth novels together, I need to know the logistics of each book before I can delve too deeply into any of them. I've got the first two detailed pretty well, but only a general idea on the third. Not enough to be able to lay down a solid logical timeline of events that criss-cross around the three books.
I get all sorts of ideas, all the time. I have a very active imagination and inspiration is constantly popping in to my head. Just not on what I want it to (which is probably why I have six other writing projects waiting in the wings).
Every now and then I remind myself of this quote by L'Amour and sit down to just start pounding the keys. I may not like what comes out right away, but every time I'm eventually surprised by what I come up with. And the past couple of days have been no exception. This morning I finally figured out where exactly I want to go with book 3. What I want to say.
The water is flowing.